Only 3 Minutes what it takes to make Cinnamon Rolls!!
You guys, I’m SOOOO excited about this one. I love cinnamon rolls but most of the time I’m waaay too lazy to make a whole batch and this you guys, this recipe has answered all my woes. No kneading, no rising, no baking.
See the cinnamon roll in the photos? It’s made in the microwave, in under 5 minutes with the simplest of ingredients. Quick, easy and fuss free.
They come out super fluffy and moist, and it’s the perfect amount of sweetness!
WHAT YOU NEED?
I love that this recipe is made with just 9 healthy ingredients, basically everything you would eat for breakfast!
- Banana + Dairy Free Milk: Provides moisture to the bread.
- Flour: I found the texture to be best with all purpose flour texture, and spelt. I’ve also tested this with oat flour and it works well but it is slightly more dense in texture. Also easily could be swapped with Gluten Free Flour 1:1 or Oat flour ( but then its not Paleo) if not use Almond Flour ( this way it keeps Paleo).*
- Baking Powder: Makes it perfectly fluffy without instant yeast!
- Coconut Sugar + Cinnamon: Again, feel free to use any granulated sugar of choice.
And if you fancy a glaze, I switch between these three combos:
- More traditional: Powdered Sugar + Coconut Milk (or any milk)
- Insanely good : Coconut Sugar + Coconut Milk ( full fat from a can)
- A little healthier: Coconut Butter + Maple Syrup
HOW TO MAKE CINNAMON ROLLS IN A MUG
Compared to all other mug cakes, this one does take a bit more effort because you have to roll it into a cinnamon bun shape but it comes out as a beaut and is so worth the effort!
- Prep the dough: mash the banana into a bowl and then mix in half of the non dairy milk and mix. Then add in the flour and baking soda and mix until just combined. If the dough seems dry, add the rest of the non-dairy milk little by little. *
- Roll the dough: Dust your working surface and hands with flour and transfer the dough on top. I use a mini spatula to get all the dough out. Dust with more flour so it doesn’t stick to your hands (this is SUPER IMPORTANT! it will be a hot mess if you don’t) and then roll it out into a rectangle. Then brush with coconut oil or plant based milk and spread the sugar cinnamon. Roll it back up and then carefully slice to three small rolls or you could use it entire and put it into a 10 oz mug (or tall bowl). What I prefer to do before is also to brush the mug with more coconut oil.
- Make the Caramel glaze which is optional but I advice you to try , mixing the coconut sugar and coconut milk ( use full fat coconut milk the thick white part), microwave for 10 seconds and then add on top of the dough . Alternatively you can make the traditional glaze by mixing powdered sugar ( icing sugar ) and coconut milk.
- Microwave: Then microwave for 1 minute- the top should looked baked without any raw looking dough. You may need to add 10-20 more seconds depending on the strength of your microwave. I use 1200 Watts. DO NOT over cook though or it’ll be super dry. ( if you prefer baking then bake in preheated oven 350° F/ 176°C for about 12-15 minutes or until fully cooked)
Just for fun, I timed myself to see how long it takes to make this and in total 2 minutes and 56 seconds! A delicious incredible fluffy and moist cinnamon bun in 3 minutes, it’s kinda mind blowing.
How to make it Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls?
Substitute spelt flour for all purpose gluten free flour or gluten free oat flour.
How to make it Paleo Cinnamon Rolls?
Swap the regular flour with Almond flour.
How to Make it in the Oven?
Use a oven safe mug and bake at oven 350° F/ 176°C for about 12-15 minutes or until fully cooked
Is it safe to use the raw Flour?
If you decide using all purpose flour or gluten free flour then my advice is to toast the flour before using.****
How to toast flour?
Simply spread the flour on a baking sheet or Silpat, and bake for about 5 minutes at 350° F/ 176°C . Let cool completely. Then use the flour in your preferred cookie recipe.
Cinnamon Rolls Filling
Before rolling the dough back up add:
- thinly sliced bananas for a banana cinnamon roll
- mini chocolate chips for a chocolate chip cinnamon roll
- drizzle caramel sauce for a caramel cinnamon roll
- swap the tahini for black sesame paste instead and make a matcha glaze
And I feel like you could totally swap out the cinnamon sugar and stuff it with sliced strawberries– the options are endless!! I really hope you try and love this single serving cinnamon roll as much as I do and have fun with all kinds of variations!
More Vegan Single Serving Desserts to Love:
3 Minutes Easy Healthy Vegan & Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls in a Mug recipe
- ½ Mashed banana small size or 2 Tbsp APPLE PURÉE
- 2 to 4 Tbsp Coconut milk ( if you want to use any other milk you could )
- 6 Tbsp All purpose flour Toasted in oven ,if it’s raw flour you can sub with Oat four for GF option ( but then its not Paleo) if not use Almond Flour ( this way it keeps Paleo)
- 1 tsp Baking soda ( you could use baking powder but then it’s not Paleo)
To brush the mug / ramekin
- Coconut oil melted ( you could use vegan butter too)
- 1 Tbsp Coconut sugar Swap with white or brown sugar if desired
- 1 Tbsp Ground cinnamon powder
Caramel Glaze :
- 1 Tbsp Coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp Coconut milk (Full fat from a can) .
- Mash the banana first then make the cinnamon roll dough by whisking together wet and dry ingredients in a bowl creating a solid incorporated dough.*
- Dust a surface with flour , tap with your hands.
- Brush with coconut milk or vegan butter so it closes when you roll it.
- Make the cinnamon filling by mixing the ingredients .
- Spread the cinnamon filling onto the dough, ( leave 1 tsp aside) then roll the dough lengthwise to form a cinnamon roll. Cut to 3 . or you could leav e it as it is and carefully transfer to brushed mug with c oconut oil.
- Sprinkle extra 1 tsp of cinnamon filling on top.
- Make the cinnamon glaze & pour over the cinnamon buns.
- Microwave on high (1200 W) for 1 minute. Add 10-15 seconds if needed. **
- Make glaze by mixing powdered sugar and coconut milk or coconut butter and maple syrup or coconut sugar with coconut milk*** and drizzle on top. Enjoy!
*Notes: if you use normal flour add only 1 Tbsp of milk. If you use oat flour use 2 Tbsp milk.while you make it the dough wet add more flour until it thickens and you could roll it.