Make the best dairy free creamy mashed potatoes for thanksgiving 2021! It is so creamy , buttery and rich with flavour, made with Yukon Gold potatoes and garlic powder. This homemade mashed potatoes recipe is Vegan and gluten free , perfect side dish to serve on thanksgiving table.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE CREAMY MASHED POTATOES
- Garlic cloves or Garlic powder
WHAT DO I NEED TO USE TO MAKE CREMAY MASHED POTATOES?
HOW TO MAKE MASHED POTATOES WITHOUT USING ANY TOOL?
If you don’t have any of the tools mentioned above you can still use a fork.
CAN I MAKE MASHED POTATOES WITH A HAND BLENDER?
My advice is to avoid using a hand blender (immersion blender)since it will release too much starch from the potatoes and result in heavy and gummy mashed potatoes. When you use a hand mixer, you can whip in much more liquid and fat without releasing too much starch from the potatoes. It also results in a very smooth and creamy texture.
HOW TO MAKE DIRY FREE MASHED POTATOES?
To make a dairy free creamy mashed potatoes swap the normal milk with almond milk, coconut milk, and vegetable stock.Personally, I prefer using unsweetened almond milk. Swap the butter with plant based butter, better if it is unsalted butter.
WHAT MILK SUBSTITUTE IS BEST ?
The best substitute for milk in mashed potatoes is heavy cream. Add a quarter of the required milk volume as heavy cream. Melted butter, stock, and sour cream are all excellent substitutes too.
WHAY IF I DON’T HAVE A MILK ?
- Any Cream. All kinds of creams will work as a substitution for milk: including heavy cream, half and half, and light cream. …
- Sour Cream.
- Greek Yogurt.
- Melted Butter.
- Almond Milk.
- Soy Milk.
- Coconut Milk.
WHICH POTATOES ARE BEST FOR THE BEST CREAMY MASHED POTATOES RESULT ?
Yukon Golds Make the Best Mashed Potatoes! Since they are high starch and low water content, they’re great for baking, for making French fries, and for mashing. In addition, they’re naturally creamy when mashed, never mealy, and have a slightly buttery flavor all on their own.
ARE GOLD AND YUKON GOLD POTATOES THE SAME?
Yukon Gold originally was one variety. It evolved over the years and so there are similar varieties out there now. Idaho grows very few of the Yukon Gold’s anymore, preferring a Yukon Gem.
SHOULD I PEEL THE SKIN OF THE POTATOES OR LEAVE IT?
You can certainly leave the potatoes unpeeled when using Yukon Gold. This will shave about 5 minutes off your prep time. The unpeeled version will have quite a bit of extra texture… so if you’re going for super creamy then you’ll want to peel the potatoes.
HOW TO MAKE DAIRY FREE CREAMY MASHED POTATOES :
First, peel your potatoes . Otherwise, just halve your potatoes and place in a large saucepan or pot and cover with water by ~1 inch.
Second, bring to a light boil over high heat , add sea salt and cook for 25-30 minutes or until very tender.
While the potatoes are cooking, chop up your chives (optional) and melt your vegan butter & vegan milk
Once tender, drain your potatoes and place them back in the hot pot off the heat for 1 minute to evaporate any additional water. Add in vegan butter & milk mix , garlic, salt.
HOW TO SERVE DAIRY FREE MASHED POTATOES
Mashed potatoes are best eaten warm with butter. This is a classic way of eating in the history of mashed potatoes. Neither of us wants to eat mashed potatoes when they’re gummy, lumpy and cold. However, not everyone knows how to reheat mashed potatoes but still retain the original consistency and scent.
Make the best Vegan Gravy sauce to serve with these creamy mashed potatoes side dish!
What can you eat next to mashed potatoes?
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER MASHED POTATOES
Remember, do not leave mashed potatoes sitting out for longer than two hours. Keep leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge for up to three to five days. You can also freeze it up to two months, defrost and leave in the fridge overnight to thaw completely and preheat before serving.
WHAT RECIPES I CAN MAKE WITH LEFTOVER MASHED POTATOES?
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MORE IDEAS FOR THANKSGIVING THEN YOU SHOULD TRY THESE:
WANT MORE FREE PLANT-BASED RECIPES?
Make sure to follow me on all my social platforms:
BEST DAIRY FREE CREAMY YUKON MASHED POTATOES
- Masher or Potato Ricer
- 6-8 Medium Yukon gold potatoes (if large, cut in half)
- Water to cover
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- ½ tsp Garlic powder swap with 3 garlic cloves
- 4 Tbsp Butter Vegan
- 4 Tbsp Plant based milk I use unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup Fresh chives (for topping /optional)
- For creamier mashed potatoes, peel your potatoes at this time. Otherwise, just halve your potatoes and place in a large saucepan or pot and cover with water by ~1 inch.
- Bring to a light boil over high heat and add 1 tsp of sea salt (as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size), and cook for 25-30 minutes or until very tender. They should effortlessly slide off a knife when pierced with a knife.
- While the potatoes are cooking, chop up your chives (optional) and melt your vegan butter & plant based milk
- Once tender, drain your potatoes and place them back in the hot pot off the heat for 1 minute to evaporate any additional water.
- Mash your potatoes using a potato masher until fluffy.
- Add in vegan butter & milk mix , garlic, salt. stir to combine. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Lastly top with chives (optional)
- don't keep in room temperature more than two hours
- store in the fridge up to 3-5 days
- store in freezer up to 2 months, defrost and store in the fridge the night before and preheat before serving