Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats – Creamy peanut butter , mashed banana, overnight oats with a dark chocolate chips and chia seeds. You’ll LOVE this make-ahead breakfast! (Gluten-free, vegan)
It is a classic peanut butter + banana + chia seeds +almond milk+ chocolate combination makes fantastic combo for sweet make-ahead breakfast that’s perfect for a busy day.
Did I mention they’re super easy to make? Because we’re talking EASY. Here’s what you need to make my chunky monkey overnight oats…
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE CHUNKY MONKEY OVERNIGHT OATS:
- (GLUTEN FREE) ROLLED OATS: Rolled oats are my favourite for making overnight oars cause once it soaks all the liquid it turns soft. This is the kind I use.
- CHIA SEEDS (OPTIONAL): it makes the chunky monkey overnight oats a nice pudding texture. Not to mention the healthy fats in it. If you are not a chia seeds fan then feel free to skip, be aware they won't be as thick as they are in the recipe video without them. I love using Iswari Chia seeds
- ALMOND MILK : If you like coconut milk full fat from a can, then you can use it also , the result will be the best too! Feel free using whatever milk you drink such as oat, cashew, rice, soy.
- VANILLA EXTRACT
- PEANUT BUTTER: Peanut butter is a must in this recipe and what makes it so good! My advice always to use organic creamy pure peanut butter, I love using Maple Farm Peanut Butter.
- BANANA :The combination with the peanut butter makes it a successful recipe that you don't want to miss! especially with the crunchy chocolate chips on top. Best to use rips. bananas.
- TINY CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Don't skip the topping ever, it makes the difference from good to amazing! hunky monkey flavor usually includes a chocolate component. Also cacao nibs make a great unsweetened option. Then, you can add crushed peanuts for a little crunch!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- MY FAVORITE CONTAINERS FOR OVERNIGHT OATS. I love using these Weck jars for my overnight oats recipes. (You just ideally want something with a lid so they stay covered in the fridge.)
- HOW LONG DO OVERNIGHT OATS LAST IN THE FRIDGE? Generally speaking, overnight oats last well 2-3 days in the refrigerator. If you plan to make them several days in advance, I recommend…
- TIPS FOR MAKING THIS SEVERAL DAYS AHEAD OF TIME. If you plan to make your chunky monkey overnight oats more than a day in advance, I recommend not adding the banana until you serve them, so it doesn’t oxidize and go mushy.
- WHEN TOPPINGS SHOULD BE ADDED? Add toppings immediately before serving, and not when you store in the fridge. In case you added the topping to serve and you want to store the rest in the fridge them stir them together with the overnight oats and store back int he fridge to eat them later.
- ARE OVERNIGHT OATS KIDS FRIENDLY? . It depends on the kid age, don't forget you have some tiny small pieces of the oats even after they are soaked and the chocolate chips, my advice it depends on how you know your kids ability to swallow food. of course the ingredients used in the recipe are 100% kids approves, besides in case of allergies.
- CAN I USE WATER INSTEAD OF MILK? Basically yes. However, using plant based milk makes the result thicker and softer.
- GLUTEN-FREE? BE SURE TO use certified gluten-free oats. Oats don’t contain gluten, but they’re often grown & processed in ways that cause cross-contamination, so you’ll want to buy certified gluten-free oats. Trader Joe’s, Bob’s Red Mill, Nature’s Path, and GF Harvest, are my favorites.
- CAN I USE STEEL-CUT OATS OR QUICK-COOKING OATS INSTEAD? It’s up to you! Rolled oats are my favorite for texture in these chunky monkey overnight oats recipe (they soften but don’t go mushy). Quick-cooking oats can get a little mushy after a couple of days, and steel-cut oats often remain pretty chewy for my taste. But you do you!
- DO YOU EAT THESE WARM OR COLD? Overnight oats are typically eaten cold, though if that weirds you out, you *can* warm them up in the microwave for about a minute, or on the stovetop. You may want to leave the banana out until after heating if you go this route and may need an extra splash of milk to maintain their creamy texture.
MORE OVERNIGHT OATS
Chuncky Monkey Peanut Butter Overnight Oats recipe ( Gluten Free & Vegan)
- Chocolate Chips, Peanut Butter, Nuts of choice
- Immediately in a jar stir all ingredients, bedside the oats. Then for last add the oats and stir well.
- Store in Refrigerator for at least two houra, I prefer overnight is the best , and before eating you can top with peanut butter mixed with maple syrup and top with vegan chocolate chips, as much as you want, No judgments 😌
- Storage: Overnight oats can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. This makes it an ideal breakfast meal prep to make on Sunday night for the week.
- Substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as is. However here are some common substitutes that would work well in this recipe.
- Make it gluten-free: Use certified gluten-free oats
- Make it sugar-free: Omit the sweetener all together or used mashed or pureed fruit in the base recipe
- Nutrition: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate based on an online nutrition calculator. It will vary based on the specific ingredients you use. This information should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. The nutrition value is for one serving without any toppings.
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish recipe or any other recipe on Vgnbites, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!