Twix bars are made of a cookie center, a gooey easy vegan caramel, and covered in high quality vegan dark chocolate. People often question whether Twix bars are cookie bars or candy bars. I am on the team candy bar, purely because they are found in the candy aisle!
I call it Lockdown Twix bars since it’s the most popular recipe at our house. Our kids ask us to make it every week, believe it or not.
Why these lockdown Twix bars are healthy?
The ingredients I use may be healthier, but I promise you it tastes just the original…if not better!
Taste-wise, it is sweet and creamy, with the delicious combination of the gooey cookie base, creamy caramel, and of course, the chocolate coating.
In terms of texture, it is a DREAM! A thick and chewy cookie nougat, studded with some crushed cookies. The healthy caramel layer is smooth and creamy, with a hint of sea salt. The chocolate coating is firm and perfect to bite into!
Not only are these keto Twix bars low carb and sugar-free, but they are also completely paleo, vegan and gluten-free!
To make homemade Twix bars, you only need to prepare three easy layers-
- Cookie nougat layer
- Caramel Layer
- Chocolate Coating
It may seem complicated, but I promise it is super simple and you will satisfy ALL keto chocolate dessert cravings!
THE COOKIE BAR LAYER
The cookie nougat layer is made with coconut flour and almond flour and sweetened with a granulated sweetener and a keto maple syrup. It is also studded with crushed keto cookies.
THE CARAMEL LAYER
Making a healthy homemade caramel is so easy, and made without dates!
To make an easy gooey caramel, there are two options-
- This version made with coconut cream
- Cashew butter or almond butter, keto maple syrup, and coconut oil
THE CHOCOLATE LAYER
tI’s easiest to use keto chocolate which melts, as it makes it so much easier and quicker to make!
I prefer using keto chocolate chips, as they melt easier and I prefer the taste. However, some people aren’t huge fans of the extended ingredient list.
You can make your own keto chocolate by melting a 100% bakers chocolate bar (it’s unsweetened!) and then add some liquid stevia, to sweeten it.
I often get questions of how to form perfect shaped candy bars, and with a recipe like this which requires a couple of steps and several layers, here are my top tips for making candy bars like this.
For easy removal of bars, I used a brownie pan and simply filled each cavity layer by layer. When you are ready to coat the bars in the chocolate, simply remove them from there and voila- You are done!
Homemade Twix bars can keep at room temperature, but the best way to enjoy them is thawed slightly, after being refrigerated. These bars are also freezer-friendly, and can keep for ages- I found one perfectly delicious after 6 months!
Don’t let the copycat candy bar title fool you- These homemade keto Twix bars are secretly healthy and so good, you’ll be making them weekly!
2020 Lockdown Twix bars recipe that kids love to make at home recipe | HEALTHY HOMEMADE KETO TWIX BARS (VEGAN, PALEO, KETO, SUGAR-FREE, LOW CARB, gluten-free bars)
- Brownie tray
For the cookie bar layer
For the gooey caramel
For the chocolate coating
- 2 cups Vegan Keto Chocolate chips
- Line a square pan or loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your coconut flour, almond flour, and granulated sweetener of choice. Mix very well. Stir through your syrup and mix until a thick dough remains.
- Add your crushed cookies and using a tablespoon, add your milk of choice slowly until a thick batter remains. If the batter is too thick, continue adding milk. Once desired texture is achieved, transfer the batter to the lined pan and refrigerate. In a microwave-safe bowl or stovetop combine your cashew butter, syrup and coconut oil and heat until combined. Whisk very well to ensure the coconut oil is fully mixed it. Pour the caramel over the cookie bar nougat layer and place in the freezer.
- Once the bars are firm, remove from pan and cut into 18 bars. Place back in the freezer again.
- Melt your chocolate chips. Remove the Twix bars and using two forks, dip each bar in the melted chocolate until evenly covered. Continue until all the bars are covered. Refrigerate until firm.