Make your own homemade pumpkin puree from scratch at home easy way in oven! Best Pumpkin recipes you'll make, I promise. This method is healthy, quick and simple.
WHAT IS PUMPKIN PUREE?
Pumpkin puree is simply the inside of a pumpkin that has been cooked through baking, roasting, steaming, boiling or sautéing and then blended or mashed to create a smooth puree. It can then easily be used in cooking and baking for both sweet & savory recipes! You can often find pumpkin puree canned in grocery stores, but during the excitement of pumpkin season, there is often a shortage.
That’s the reason I thought it would be great to share with you how you can make your own pumpkin puree at home simply by roasting your pumpkins to make your favourite fall dishes!
WHAT IS THE BEST TYPE OF PUMPKIN FOR MAKING PUMPKIN PUREE?
You might think big pumpkin means more pumpkin puree, don't get tempted! Cause the big pumpkins tend to be very stringy and not flavorful.
Instead, I recommend using a pie pumpkin or sugar pumpkin . During the fall and winter seasons, most stores will have them available. Try to pick pumpkins between 3-6 pounds — that’s usually when the flesh is best.
Discover here How to choose the best pumpkin!
DO I NEED SPECIAL TOOLS ?
You do need the following tools for making the process easier:
- Sharp knife
- Cutting Board
- Parchment Paper
- Baking sheet
- Food processor or blender
- airtight jars
THE BEST METHOD TO CUT PUMPKIN
I found this easy simple method perfect for cutting the pumpkin to cubes and cooking without any effort:
- You need to use a very sharp knife to cut the pumpkin in half on one side of the stem (with stem facing upward).
- Use a spoon to scoop out the pumpkin seeds and discard or save for roasting.
- Wash to clean from pumpkin seeds.
- You don't have to peel them, but if you want to make it easier to peel the pumpkin, place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes until slightly soft.
- Next, cut each pumpkin half into wedges.
- Use a sharp knife to cut off the skin of the pumpkin as best you can, it should come off fairly easy. You may even be able to peel it off without using a knife!
- Cube pumpkin wedges into 1-inch cubes.
HOW TO ROAST PUMPKINS
Add the cubed pumpkins to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in preheated oven 375°F/176°C for 40-50 minutes. Peel off the skin and enjoy!
HOMEMADE PUMPKIN PUREE THE EASY WAY
- Roast the entire pumpkin as explained above.
- Peel off the skin and add the pumpkin flesh to a blender or food processor.
- Process the pumpkin until it’s nice and smooth — about 2-3 minutes. Then it’s ready to use!
DELICIOUS RECIPES YOU CAN MAKE WITH PUMPKIN PUREE
How To Cook Pumpkin Puree At Home In Oven Easily
- Sharp knife
- Blender /food Processor
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 3⅓ pounds Whole Pumpkin* 1.5 kg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil optional
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (176° C).
- Wash the pumpkin
- Place the pumpkin on your cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife slice to two halves .
- Use a spoon to scrape out the stringy membrane and seeds.
- Wash and clean very well from any seeds
- Cut the pumpkin into large wedges.
- Then cut to small cubes
- Place the pumpkin pieces in a roasting pan which is lined with baking paper
- Bake for about 45 minutes, depending on the size of the pumpkin pieces, or until the pumpkin is tender when easily pierced with the tip of a sharp knife or a skewer.
- Remove the pumpkin from the oven and leave it to cool until you can comfortably handle it.
- Then scrape the pulp from the skin into a food processor. Discard the skin.
- Blend until evenly pureed, scraping down the side of the processor as necessary.