Microwave Macaroni and Cheese in a Mug may change the way you make this family favorite forever! My macaroni and cheese recipe is made with real ingredients and ready in a few microwave minutes. Say goodbye to boxes because from here on out you can make your mac and cheese cheaper, faster and better. And it's VEGAN!
How To Cook Mac and Cheese in a Mug
My homemade mac and cheese can be mixed and cooked in a single mug. Many people are amazed that you can cook pasta quickly and easily in the microwave. If you are, then you might be blown away that you can add three other ingredients to make a delicious cheesy sauce. Using just plant-based milk, vegan cheese, and cornstarch, you can make this rich mug meal in no time.
This mug recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner and will even work really well as a filling snack. To save you even more time, make your Microwave Macaroni and Cheese the night before and microwave the next day.
Which pasta best to use?
I love using Macaroni Pasta, this brand.
What if I am allergic to Cornstarch?
You could use instead Rice Starch , Potato Starch or flour
Easy Microwave Vegan Macaroni & Cheese in a Mug
- A Mug
- ⅓ cup (28g/1oz) pasta
- ¾ cup (175ml/6fl oz) water, cold
- 4 tablespoon plant based milk
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch (aka cornflour) sub with rice starch
- 4 ½ tablespoon vegan cheese , grated for non vegan you can use cheddar cheese , grated
- 1 tablespoon dessicated coconut
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large microwavable mug or large bowl add in the macaroni and the water. You need a large mug as the water will boil up.
- Microwave for roughly 3 ½ minutes. You want the pasta to be fully cooked. (Timing is based on my 1200w microwave so your timing might vary)
- Pour off the remaining cooking water.
- Stir in the milk, cornstarch and shredded cheese and microwave for a final 60 seconds to create your sauce. Stir well, season with salt and pepper and enjoy.
- Cooking time will vary greatly depending on your microwave and the width and depth of the mug.
- Always keep a close eye on your mug while in the microwave so it doesn’t overflow or overcook.
Leave a Reply