Learn How to make the best vegan dalgona coffee without instant coffee at home using only 3 ingredients!
What Is Dalgona Coffee?
The hit started on TikTok and with no time became viral on Instagram and Facebook, you can call it the suddenly taken over the internet.
When I saw it on TikTok I could not believe how simple is to make the Dalgona coffee , you simply whip together equal amounts of instant coffee, hot water, and sugar (or erythritol for sugar free) until it magically turns thick and airy, with stiff cloud-like peaks reminiscent of meringue or homemade whipped cream.
This Dalgona coffee has a little twist in it. It is actually vegan Dalgona Coffee without instant coffee! Yes, you can do a healthier version for this vegan whipped coffee, only using 3 ingredients.
What is the origin of Dalgona Coffee?
If you go to Wikipedia, Dalgona Coffee is based on an Indian drink known as Fenty Hui coffee. The only difference is that when making Phenti Hui, milk is poured on top of the whipped mix rather than spooning the whipped mix on top of the milk. Its viral status on social media came as a South Korean actor who visited an eatery in Macau where he was served a similar beverage reminding him of “dalgona, “a type of Korean honeycomb toffee, and later presented on a South Korean TV show.
What I need to make vegan whipped coffee without instant coffee ?
What tools to use?
- The fastest & the best way to whipping up soft peaks that hold their shape for longer is definitely with a handheld electric whisk.
- If you haven’t got an electric whisk, you can use a traditional manual whisk, but it’ll take you much longer. Your arms will feel like they’ve had a good workout!
- You can also use a milk frother, although I found it took me twice as long, and the peaks were not holding their shape as well as they did with an electric whisk.
Can I make keto whipped coffee?
Feel free to make it Keto Dalgona coffee recipe or use normal milk! The recipe is vegan as long as you spoon it over non-dairy milk such as almond milk, oat milk, soy milk, or coconut milk. It works with most granulated sugars, including brown sugar, white sugar, or coconut sugar. For keto dalgona coffee, use granulated erythritol or monk fruit sweetener.
Can I make sugar free?
While you can omit the sugar entirely and the coffee will still whip up, the results will not be fluffy. If you want sugar-free dalgona coffee, my recommendation is to use one of the granulated sugar substitutes listed above.
Is it better to drink hot or Cold?
I love both versions, to be honest. You can add a cup with ice cubes, espresso coffee normal or decaffeinated, and any plant-based milk of choice. I like to use it with my Homemade Almond milk.
How long does vegan dalgona coffee take to make?
It is one of the easiest recipes you will ever make, trust me! As I mentioned at the beginning vegan Dalgona Coffee can be made with hand beaters, a coffee frother, or simply a fork or whisk. Mine started to thicken within 30 seconds using both of the first two methods, and it gets thicker and thicker the longer you whip it. If you’re making whipped coffee by hand, this does require a lot of patience, as it can take anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes of mixing with just a whisk.
How to make dalgona coffee without instant coffee?
To make whipped coffee without instant coffee, I use the aquafaba, start whipping to the desired thickness. It generally requires 3-6 minutes to get to semi-firm peaks, depending on your equipment and how thick your aquafaba was, to begin with. So take your time and don’t be discouraged if it takes some time to reach stiff peaks and add to it superfoods. I like to add pink pitaya powder or matcha to add extra health benefits.
3 ingredients Best Vegan Dalgona Coffee without instant coffee
- handheld electric whisk or manual whisk
super food for the pink colour
- 1 tsp Pink pitaya powder
Iced cofee latte
- 1 handful ice cubes optional: ice cubes if you’re serving Dalgona Coffee frappe style
- 1 cup almond milk Hot or cold or milk of choice to serve
- ¼ cup espresso coffee decaffeinated
- Make the the aquafaba
- Take the quantity you need from the acquafaba to top your coffee, mix in Pink pitaya super food and coconut sugar.This is your vegan dalgona whip.
- Pour hot or cold milk* (see serving ideas in the blog post) into a glass/mug and scoop the vegan dalgona whip on top. Mix with a spoon to combine. Enjoy!