Who doesn’t like Donuts , and the best when they are quick, healthy ! These simple vegan donuts recipe good all year around , rich with maple flavour , and coated with cinnamon. And yes this gluten free baked doughnuts recipe; you can either make this in a ring doughnut tin or as ‘duffins’ in a muffin tin! They’re quick and easy to bake and a great gluten free recipe to test out while in lockdown!
How to make this Baked Vegan Donut Recipe:
Making these vegan donuts is almost ridiculously easy. You only need 10 ingredients and a blender :
- flour (I use all purpose but you can also use whole wheat, pastry flour, or a gluten free 1–1 substitute)
- baking soda
- baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ground cinnamon
- maple syrup
- almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- nut butter (if allergic, you can also try sunflower butter!)
- vanilla extract
- banana (If you’re looking for a substitute for the banana (because I KNOW I will get asked about this), my best suggestion is apple sauce.)
I’ve been LOVING oat milk lately so I also tried making these with that and it turned out great.
To make these homemade baked donuts, we’re simple going to mix ALL of the ingredients together (minus the cinnamon sugar coating obviously) in one large bowl until combined. Wait, did I mention that this is a ONE BOWL RECIPE!? and can be easily made with a blender or food processor?
From there, I like to put the batter into a baggie so that it’s easier to evenly squeeze into the donut pan. However, you can also just scoop the batter in with a spoon. Then simply bake it for about 15 minutes and they’re DONE.
If you want to add a cinnamon sugar coating, simply mix together the cinnamon and sugar. To help the sugar stick better, I lightly spray the donuts with cooking spray and then toss them in the sugar.
I don’t have a donut pan. How long would you cook cupcakes?
No ! Same time , just checkout with tooth stick that it is dry and golden !
I can’t use nut butter, can I make these Maple Donuts without?
Sure you can use instead another banana so you use two bananas instead of one banana and skip the nut butter , or you could also add instead chocolate spread so they are chocolate donut.
Can I keep it healthy and not make the cinnamon sugar coating?
Yes! it is up to you wether you want to add or not, and also you can make maple glaze instead, chocolate glaze, strawberry frosting, vegan cheese frosting. The options are endless…
What can I use instead of Bananas?
Since these donuts are vegan, and there are no eggs, we need to use a combining ingredient, this is why we use the bananas, however, feel free to sub with Apple Sauce, or Flaxseed Eggs.
I wanted these to be on the healthier side of life , so today we’re making BAKED DONUTS. But not only are they lighter, they’re also much easier than fried and I love them for that!
I also coated these in a cinnamon sugar coating which I TOTALLY realize largely negatives that other lighter ingredients in these baked donuts. But, I’m okay with that 🙂
The Best Donut Baking Pan:
Where to buy Heart Shape Donut Pan that we used to make these Valentines day baked donuts?
- Material: steel with nonstick finish
- Durable nonstick pans clean up easily in the dishwasher
- Recipes are included
Obviously, you can leave off the cinnamon sugar coating OR just add a much lighter coating of it. There’s no wrong way to do this and I love how versatile these are.
Like most donuts, these don’t stay good for more than about a day and are best enjoyed soon after baking. I made the recipe so that it only makes 6 donuts but feel free to double the recipe if needed. Don’t forget- there’s an option in my recipe card (on the right side at the top) that will automatically double or even triple the recipe for you!
More Vegan Desserts to try:
Baked Vegan Gluten Free Maple Donut Recipe
- Heart Shape Donut Pan
- Blender / Food Processor ( Optional)
- Ziplock bag or piping bag
- 1 Medium banana Ripe
- ½ cup (125ml) Almond milk or any other milk you prefer
- ¼ cup (85g) Maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp Nut butter I used peanut butter this time but have also made these with almond butter. See notes for Sub options.
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Ground cinnamon powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- ½ Cup Cane Sugar
- ½ Tbsp Ground cinnamon powder
- Cooking spray
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F/ 175°C. Grease with coconut oil or cooking spray a 6 cavity donut pan.
- In a blender/ food processor or deep bowl add sliced banana ,the milk, nut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder .Stir blend for 60 seconds until well combined.
- Over top of the wet ingredients, sift together the flour, and blend everything together to combine.
- You can add to a ziplock bag or piping bag and cut a hole in the corner as I did and pipe the batter into the greased donut pan or you can evenly spoon the mixture into the 6 donut pan.My tip is to roughly shake the pan so the batter straightens .
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool slightly and then remove from the pan to a wire rack to cool more.
- While the donuts are baking make the cinnamon sugar coating by combining the cinnamon and sugar in a shallow bowl.
- nce the donuts have cooled enough to easily handle them, lightly spray each one with cooking spray and then roll them in the sugar coating. ENJOY!
- Sub banana with apple sauce.
- Sub Nut butter with sunflower butter or chocolate spread.
- These don’t stay good for more than about a day and are best enjoyed soon after baking.