Special occasions are perfect for baking! And since February is Valentine’s Day, I’m sharing these Vegan Raspberry Almond Linzer Cookies! A perfect sweet treat to celebrate the occasion and other special occasions.
These Almond Linzer Cookies are Easy to prepare, Vegan and also Gluten Free Cookies since I like to use ground almonds , however, you can feel free to use Oat flour instead.
To be honest, I am not the biggest fan of V-Day… I sort of dread it. I find it a tad too commercial with the millions of red roses and boxes of chocolate decorating every window pane of every shop. Typically, I just shoo the idea of celebrating V-day away when the question begs, “what would you like to do this year?”
However, I will be the fist to admit that I am also the biggest hypocrite. Come Feb 14 I am swept away by the “love is all around” mentality. And I totally regret not having anything planned to celebrate my hubby.
So this year, although standing my ground not to buy or receive unneeded gifts from hubby; I’m showing my love through baking!
It’s a pleasure to share these V-day themed Vegan Raspberry Almond Linzer Cookies. Made with a vegan shortbread cookie dough and filled with lush raspberry chia jam. They are deliciously sweet and too cute to boot! I hope you enjoy making them as much as I do.
To be honest, I think this is one of the best baked goods I’ve made to date. The shortbread cookie dough is flawless, and how cute do they look with little heart shaped cutouts? If I had my own cafe these would be first to go!
Have no fear, you will perfect the recipe by embracing sugar (after all it is a cookie recipe we’re talking about!). This is no doubt a premium vegan shortbread cookie recipe. The texture of the shortbread is flawless, and they’re perfectly sweet. Honestly, you don’t even need the raspberry jam to devour the lot.
What the Shortbread cookie has?
The shortbread dough consists of flour, icing sugar, ground almond , and vegan butter. I’ve kneaded together to form a shaggy dough, and then formed into a dough ball. Then, I rolled out the dough into a thin sheet to cut.
What Jam can be used ?
Personally, I find the Raspberry Chia Jam is the Best filling to use with these vegan almond Linzer cookies, but feel free to use another jam you like, such as Strawberry jam, Blueberry Jam or Apricot Jam.
Don’t also take it for granted using any kind of Chia Seeds, I use these Chia Seeds, which are organic and gives me the best results .
A little cookie baking hack: You can cut these cookies using a juice cup!
That’s right – if you don’t have the correct cookie cutter size or shape, you can still make these delicious vegan Almond Linzer Cookies.
In fact, I hadn’t realized that I didn’t have the proper cookie cutout until the dough was rolled out. I had raided my baking stash in wonderment. How did I survive this long WITHOUT a classic round cookie cutter!? Can I even call myself a blogger? But, turning a juice cup upside down and pushing into the dough worked beautifully for me.
I used these Linzer Cookies Cutter from Amazon:
As for the jam, I used my signature Raspberry Chia Jam for the filling. Which you can top on your pancaked , on smoothie bowls, porridge oats and stuffed between dates . I absolutely love this jam for a healthier preserve. It has much less sugar and you know exactly what’s gone into making it. But, given this is a classic sweet cookie I have no reservation in suggesting to use whatever jam you have handy. 🙂
Once you baked and cooled the cookies , you can sprinkle with a bit of icing sugar to make them look extra pretty. Then, sandwich two shortbread cookies (one full cookie and the other with the heart shaped cut out) between jam.
I hope you’ll give them a try this Valentine’s Day. They are sure to wow you’re loved one – whether they’re vegan or not.
And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I love hearing from you. And of course, tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #vgnbites Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Low Effort Vegan Almond Linzer Cookies in less than one hour / Gluten Free Linzer Cookies
- Round cookie cutter,
- Rolling Pin
- Cookie baking sheet
- If using raspberry chia jam*, start by preparing this. Sift flour and icing sugar into a large mixing bowl. Add salt, cinnamon and almond flour and mix gently to combine.
- Cut vegan butter into rough chunks and add to mixing bowl. Massage dough with hands to combine the flour and butter, until dough is shaggy and loosely combined. Add agave and vanilla extract, and mix to combine. Then bring together to form a dough ball.
- Sprinkle work surface with flour and roll dough into a thin sheet, approx. 1/4 inch thick. Cut round circles into the dough using a cookie cutter.** Then, using a mini heart-shaped cookie cutter to a window out the middle of ONLY HALF of the cookies.
- Preheat oven to 175°C/350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and place the cookies on sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are lightly golden in colour. Let cool completely. Optional to dust with icing sugar.
- Take two cookies (one normal and one with a heart-shaped cutout). Place a heaping spoonful of jam in the centre and sandwich cookies together. Continue process until all cookies are sandwiched over jam.