This is a simple yet indulgent vegan chocolate mousse with aquafaba ‘vegan egg whites’. I’ve been massively obsessed with it and bringing to you try it too. It makes a perfect no bake dessert for date night. You will only need 5 ingredients. It’s very easy to make, delicious, fluffy, airy, chocolate-y and so comforting!
What you need to make Vegan Chocolate Mousse:
- Vegan dark chocolate
- chickpea water AKA Acquafaba
- Agave syrup or maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut oil
What is acquafaba?
Aquafaba is the water in which chickpeas have been cooked. It has a viscous consistency and is composed mostly of carbohydrates and proteins which have migrated from the chickpeas to the water during the cooking process.
You can use aquafaba as a replacement for egg whites to make vegan meringues, macarons, chocolate mousse, French toasts, mayonnaise, omelet, burger buns and more!
Does the vegan chocolate mousse taste like chickpeas?
Not at all! You won't even guess that it has this secret ingredient.
Can this vegan chocolate mousse be made a time ahead?
Yes! Better to mke it overnight , that gives it time to set and makes an amazing fluffy chocolate pudding.
Does the chickpea water should be cold?
You can use cold or room temperature. Personally, I prefer room temperature.
What is the secret for this recipe to succeed ?
You need to give the chickpea water enough time, at least 5 minutes, whipping at high speed, till you see sift peaks form.
Can I use sugar instead of maple syrup?
The traditional French chocolate mousse is made with sugar but since I like to avoid using refined sugar in my recipes I decided to use maple syrup instead.
Maple syrup works great in this recipe, but you can also use agave syrup or date syrup. Depending on how sweet your chocolate is and how sweet you like your mousse, you may not even have to add any sweetener. If it’s your first time making aquafaba chocolate mousse, I recommend you to add 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup thoug
How to make Vegan Chocolate Mousse?
- Place the chocolate chip & coconut oil in a bowl and melt. Double boiler method or in microwave.
- When chocolate melts stir in the agave syrup and vanilla extract and allow to cool down.
- Drain the water from the chickpea can and keep the water in a large bowl.
- Using an electric hand mixer whisk for full 5 minutes the acquafaba.
- Using a silicon spatula gently fold the chickpea whip gradually into the cooled melted chocolate bowl.
- Spoon the mousse into 3 individual bowls or glasses and set in the fridge for minimum 3 hours or overnight. Enjoy!
How to Store this Aquafaba Chocolate Mousse
I like to store leftover chocolate mousse in the fridge in an airtight container for 1-2 days. But most of the time we eat it all the day I make it, so I don’t even have to worry about how to store it 🙂
Vegan Chocolate Mousse with Acquafaba
- 1 hand mixer
- 1 silicon spatula
- 1 cup (240 ml) liquid from 1 tin - chickpea water ( acquafaba ) room temperature
- 1 cup (140 g) vegan dark chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon Agave syrup or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Place the chocolate chip & coconut oil in a bowl and melt.1 cup (140 g) vegan dark chocolate , 1 Tablespoon Coconut oil
- When chocolate melts stir in the agave syrup and vanilla extract and allow to cool down.1 Tablespoon Agave syrup
- Drain the chickpeas.1 cup (240 ml) liquid from 1 tin - chickpea water ( acquafaba )
- With an electric hand whisk at full speed, whip up the aquafaba for 5 full minutes. *1 cup (240 ml) liquid from 1 tin - chickpea water ( acquafaba )
- Using a silicon spatula gently fold the chickpea whip gradually into the cooled melted chocolate bowl.1 cup (140 g) vegan dark chocolate
- Divide the mixture into 3 glasses. 1 cup (140 g) vegan dark chocolate
- Refrigerate at least for 3 hours or overnight so the mousse sets. Enjoy!1 cup (140 g) vegan dark chocolate
- TIP: you should have a very very thick foam.
I hope you will love this aquafaba chocolate mousse! It’s:
- Easy to make
- Refined sugar-free
- Healthier than most chocolate mousse recipes